Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Brain Trust - Garth Sundem

Brain Trust: 87 Top Scientists Reveal Lab-Tested Secrets to Surfing, Dating, Dieting, Gambling, Growing Man-Eating Plants, and More!






description 



Clearly one of the best books I've read this year (and the year's just started, yay!) - What I loved about this book is it's ability to suck you in right away in it's folds. I am a scientist and obviously this book made a lot of sense to me since I'm one of those people who question their lot in life (If you wanna see my queries, here you go ). But, I can also see people from all walks of life benefiting from this book. There's scientific info about health, wealth, love and life which would appeal to any thinking person combined with examples which are easy to understand and interesting. An obvious comparison for this scientific study is of course the book 'Freakonomics', except this book is MUCH more data-sturdy. It doesn't just say one thing, it proves it. I can't wait to discuss the related material with my folks. They'll eat this sort of info up and debate it with respect to their own experiences. 

The Beef: I'm sorry, I'm not from a country where gambling's popular (or baseball or car racing) - so the sports portion of it was pretty much wasted (as well as speed-dating...Oh, well!) - Info on Cricket was good, though.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds like it will be a lot of fun to read. I loved Freakonomics, so I am sure that I will love this. I see that it is being reviewed on The Book Report Radio show this weekend (22 April 2012) Check the broadcast times out on www.bookreportradio.com or listen to the archived show.

    ReplyDelete